Saturday 27 May 2017

Vegan and gluten free diet for autoimmune disease


I'm carrying on from my latest blog post on my story with rheumatoid arthritis and going to explain how I've changed my diet. There are sooo many articles and suggestions out there that tell you what to eat to 'cure' your condition. I don't know if I believe them but I will definitely give them a go.

I recently switched to a vegan diet, where I eliminated meat, fish, dairy, egg etc all out of my diet. Then I recently decided to cut out gluten too. When I first started my vegan diet I found it alright as most of the products that I ate were full of gluten so when I decided to eliminate that, I was stuck.

There is no denying that a gluten free, vegan diet is hard, especially if you're eating out, the options available are super limited. Even at home I sometimes struggle. I eat mainly vegetables as too much sugar can also cause flare ups of arthritis however I do still eat a large amount of fruit too, because I have a massive sweet tooth. Right now I can't tell if the diet is working but I feel as though I need to try anything possible. 

Don't get me wrong sometimes all I want to do is eat a massive slice of cake and not worry but I'm just trying to improve my chances of a better future.


No comments:

Post a Comment